Governor Edgardo Tallado of Camarines Norte is top among government officials received Dismissal Order from Ombudsman.
Several local government officials have been dismissed permanently by the Ombudsman and barred from public service permanently for grave misconduct, unexplained wealth, abuse of authority and corruption.
Camarines Norte Governor Edgardo Tallado meted his second Dismissal Order from a nine page decision dated January 10, 2018 by the Office of the Ombudsman, which order said Tallado is liable for grave misconduct when he assumed office during his suspension. The second dismissal order stemmed from the complaint filed by Edgardo Gonzales, who was relieved as provincial veterinarian in 2012 and assigned as public information officer.
His first Dismissal Order was issued on November 2016, which Tallado was dismissed for grave misconduct and abuse of authority, in a case filed by provincial employees whose appointments he did not honor. The Court of Appeals stopped the dismissal who was earlier ordered dismissed by the Ombudsman.
But some lawyers said the second dismissal order for Tallado is a game over in view of the latest ruling of the Supreme Court, which the latest Supreme Court ruling has corrected the error of the Court of Appeals in stopping the implementation of an Ombudsman Dismissal Order.
In October 2017, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales dismissed then Mayor Aniano Antalan of the Island Garden City of Samal for accepting a P200,000 “cash gift” from a multipurpose cooperative that was awarded a pork barrel-funded project in 2012.
August 2017, former Mayor Edwin Pangilinan of Famy, Laguna province, was dismissed after being found guilty of grave misconduct and serious dishonesty in relation to his participation in a convention on Boracay Island in 2010.
Morales also banned Damian Mercado, former Southern Leyte governor, over an irregular purchase in 2007 of three secondhand vehicles, including one he had previously owned and was more than a decade old, for P2.3 million.
In July 2017, the Ombudsman perpetually barred former Cebu City Councilor Gerardo Carillo from holding public office for making an administrative aide moonlight as a cook at his girlfriend’s restaurant during office hours.
In June 2017, former Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno and seven procurement officials of Misamis Oriental province were dismissed over the misuse of P1.41 million paid to lease heavy equipment without public bidding.
In February 2017, former Tuguegarao City Mayor Jefferson Soriano was dismissed for allowing the operation of a parking terminal without the city council’s consent.
In November 2016, Edgardo Tallado, former Camarines Norte governor, was dismissed for grave misconduct and abuse of authority, in a case filed by provincial employees whose appointments he did not honor.
In October 2016, Gregorio Ipong, former Cotabato vice governor, was dismissed over irregularities in the release of his pork barrel funds in 2007.
In August 2016, former Mayor Hadji Nasser Imam of Matanog, Maguindanao province, was dismissed for defaulting on a P30-million loan after the town was hit by a series of typhoons in 2012.
In June 2016, former Gov. Roel Degamo of Negros Oriental province was dismissed for the unauthorized release of P480 million in calamity funds in 2012 despite the withdrawal of the special allotment release order for the fund disbursement.
In January 2016, former Mayor Jose Villarosa of San Jose, Occidental Mindoro, was banned from reentering public service over the unlawful use of P2.9 million in the town’s share of tobacco excise taxes in 2010. The Fenix Files/RIF